Date of last revision May, 2016
What information does BitTorrent, Inc. collect and how does BitTorrent use it?
Gathering and Use of Non-personally Identifiable Information
Each time a visitor comes to one of our Sites (including utorrent.com), we collect some limited information that your browser routinely makes available whenever you visit a website. We collect this data to improve the overall quality of the online experience, including product monitoring, product improvement, and targeted advertising. This information includes your Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your query and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
In addition to collecting these types of information, BitTorrent collects aggregate queries for internal reporting and targeted advertising. We also count, track, and aggregate the visitor's activity into our analysis of general traffic flows at our websites (e.g. tracking where traffic comes from, how traffic flows within the websites, etc.). To these ends, we may merge information about you into group data, which may then be shared on an aggregated basis with our advertisers; but BitTorrent will not disclose your individual identity or personal data without your permission.
In the event that you provide us with answers to voluntary survey questions, we may present this information to our advertisers and partners, in the form of grouped statistics compiled from our users’ answers to such questions.
We also aggregate some data from the software (as defined below) regarding total traffic flows and content delivery performance as well as other data collected in the use of our products or services in order to understand usability and monitor network conditions and compare the performance of BitTorrent and HTTP protocols on the public internet. BitTorrent’s software called the "BitTorrent" application or the "uTorrent" application are sometime collectively referred to hereunder as the "BitTorrent Client." BitTorrent’s other applications, including, but not limited to, BitTorrent Live and BitTorrent Bundle, are sometimes referred to hereunder as "BitTorrent Other Applications." The BitTorrent Client and BitTorrent Other Applications are sometimes collectively referred to as the "Software".
We may also receive and collect information from your computer and browser, including your IP address, BitTorrent cookie information and software and hardware attributes. Additionally we may also collect information about your computer or mobile device, such as your device model, browser type, or sensors in your device like the accelerometer. BitTorrent uses such information for the following general purposes: to customize the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products and services, improve our services, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.
Gathering and Use of Personally Identifiable Information
You may visit the Sites and use the Software and many of the Services without any registration at all. However, from time to time, we may enable certain additional functionality or services whereby you will have to create a user account, and we may collect and process the following information about you:
- information such as your name, address, phone number and e-mail address, and other demogaphic information (such as date of birth, gender, age, and interests) that you provide by completing forms on the Sites, including if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to our mailing lists, upload or submit any material through the services, or request any information.
- your log-in and password details in connection with the account sign-in process;
- details of any requests or transactions made by you through the Service;
- communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns, or comments regarding the Service or its content;
- information that you post to the Site in the form of comments or contributions to discussions; and
- IP addresses.
We will use the personal information you provide to:
- identify you when you sign-in to your account;
- enable us to provide you with the Services or to carry out your instructions (for example, to process payment information);
- send you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us;
- present projects to you when you use the Service which we believe will be of interest based on your geographic location and previous use of the Service;
- administer your account with us;
- enable us to contact you regarding any question you make through the Service;
- analyze the use of the Service and the people visiting to improve our content and Services; and
- use for other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request your information.
Publishers of BitTorrent Bundles receive or have access to the e-mail addresses of users who sign up for such Publisher's mailing list through the Services.
We may also use e-mail addresses and other personally identifiable information from time to time in order to gather and provide to our members and visitors improved content and features.
When you provide payment data for Sync Pro, we will store that data to help you complete future transactions when logged into your account, and you agree that (i) we have permission to retain the payment information and method, including all submitted debit and credit card information, submitted by you and your issuing bank or the applicable payment network; and (ii) we or our reseller (as applicable) are authorized to charge you for the subscriptions you select using the established payment method and the information you provide that is stored in your account as of the applicable date for payment. You may remove the payment instrument information associated with your Sync Pro account by contacting us at support.getsync.com/anonymous_requests/new. After you close your account or remove a payment instrument, however, BitTorrent will retain your payment instrument data for as long as reasonably necessary to complete your existing transaction, to comply with legal and reporting requirements, and for the detection and prevention of fraud.
How the BitTorrent Client Works
- The BitTorrent Client is a software application on your machine that manages downloads. The BitTorrent Client downloads files quickly by trading pieces with other users who are also downloading (or have downloaded) the same content. Your use of the BitTorrent Client to download files will, in turn, enable other BitTorrent users (or users of other clients that communicate using the BitTorrent protocol, including clients that are unaffiliated with BitTorrent, Inc.) to download pieces of those files from you. Although your IP address is associated with your piece of the file, other users will not have access to any other personal information about you.;
- We do not track which files you transfer with the BitTorrent Client. Merely using the BitTorrent Client does not cause a record of which files you transfer to be kept by BitTorrent or BitTorrent on behalf of any third party.;
Does BitTorrent use "cookies"?
Does BitTorrent disclose the information it collects from its visitors to outside parties?
BitTorrent does not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer outside the company personally identifiable information that visitors voluntarily provide for BitTorrent in any registration or use of the BitTorrent websites or the Software, except when it’s necessary to provide the Services (like when we partner with payment processors or, in the case of a transaction relating to a BitTorrent Bundle, when we share purchaser personal data with the content publisher merchant or its suppliers to process the payment and for tax purposes). This information is used to better understand visitors’ use of the features of the BitTorrent websites or the Software, to support related transactions made on or through the BitTorrent websites or the Software, and to better know our visitors and possibly tailor any specific features, promotions, advertisement or other notifications to them. However, this data in an aggregate form without any personally identifiable information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. Should you no longer wish to receive information from us, or should your information change, we have provided a way for you to correct, update or remove the personal data you gave us. You can do this simply by contacting us in any of the simple ways set forth below in the section entitled "How do you change the information we have for you?" If you sign up for the mailing list of a publisher of a BitTorrent Bundle, the e-mail address you submit will be provided to that publisher, whom we have no control over.
Finally, we may disclose your personally identifiable information upon a transfer or sale to another entity of all or substantially all of our assets or equity securities or upon any other corporate reorganization.
BitTorrent’s special note to parents.
In compliance with the 1998 Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the Sites are general audience websites, and do not knowingly collect, nor will it ever knowingly retain, personally identifiable information from any visitor BitTorrent actually knows to be under thirteen years of age without the consent of that child's parent or legal guardian.
How do you change the information we have for you?
To update or modify the information that we have on file for your user account, simply go to the applicable Site or Service, log in, go to the user account section, then modify your details and settings as necessary.
Third party links and co-brand relationships.
In an attempt to provide increased value to our visitors, we may choose various third party web sites or services to link to, and/or frame within, the Sites or Services. We may also include offers from third parties as part of the installation process for our software. We also participate in co-branding and other relationships to offer e-commerce and other services and features to our users. However, even if the third party is affiliated with us, we have no control over these third party sites or services, each of which has separate privacy and data collection practices independent of us. Data collected by our co-brand partners or third party web sites (even if offered on or through our Site or Services) may not be received by us. As such, we have no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any such web sites or services. These linked sites or services are only for your convenience and you therefore access them at your own risk.
Notification of changes.
Questions? Contact us.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please do not hesitate to write to us at:
Privacy Matters c/o BitTorrent, Inc. 303 Second St. Suite S200 San Francisco, California 94107
End User License Agreements and Terms and Conditions.
Please also read any applicable End User License Agreements and/or Terms and Conditions that apply to individual BitTorrent applications and services.